Tuesday 8 November 2011

Single mothers, singled out - letter to the Chancellor

Rt Hon George Osborne MP
Chancellor of the Exchequer
HM Treasury
Horse Guards Road
London SW1A 2HQ
7th November 2011
Dear Mr Osborne,  
I’ve spent some time this evening reading the Fawcett Society report, ‘Single Mothers, Singled Out’
I feel strongly that the government should be doing everything they can to support children and families – and in particular single-parent families.
I was disappointed to read in the report that lone parents are hardest hit by the ‘reforms’ to taxes and the welfare rights system. Surely this is a key group, which the system should be supporting?
The report also suggests that lone parents are suffering most from the cuts to public services.
I would be interested to hear your perspective on this – I’m sure you would not have intended this outcome and now it has been brought to light I feel it is imperative that the government acts quickly to ensure that lone parents are not made poorer.
I would welcome a response to my letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment